Translate

Friday, October 26, 2012

ToMAYto, ToMAHto



Ah, the end of Summer – well really we are into Fall, but it sure took quite a while to get here…..

No arguing about an Indian Summer to come, I think we just had it with the two 75 degree days bestowed upon us this week – and oh what a fabulous temperature that is!   

Everyone in the neighborhood out scrambling to prepare for the inevitable freeze right around the corner - raking,  cutting down annual plants, raking, pulling out the garden, raking, cutting back the rose bushes, raking, removing ivy and grape vines, raking – well, you get the idea.  

Oh and the upcoming time change that will submerge us into darkness for the drive into work AND the drive home for the next five months – thanks whoever came up with that one, a hundred plus years ago – can we get rid of it now?  The farmers no longer rule the country side, people drive their kids to school and the trains all have all been automated.   

These  are the three reasons I always hear for why we have a time change twice a year  – I truly don’t think the kids walking to school ever had anything to do with it – especially 100 years ago, when a fifth grade education was a good accomplishment and really, the kids were all out working on the farm.  I’m more likely to side with the train monopoly – which no longer is a problem in this country, hasn’t been since the highway system came about – oh say 70 years ago… So no, I personally don’t understand the time change.  I digress….

Back to my tomatoes, Look at them all, still clinging to the bush – looking like a great bunch!  Except it is Oct 26th my great little bunch, time to tell you and your forty little friends to turn red already!!

Also you’re a bit late, I canned LAST weekend and I had to supplement my crop with Roma’s from the Eastern Market – I waited and waited and waited – all summer, your bush grew big – huge as a matter of fact (the other three – not so much, more like twigs) you gave me a tasty tomato here, two tasty tomatoes there, but never more than three a week.  

Now there are forty of you, and I’m sorry to say you are all facing death.  I realize this is your first go around on this planet, but you live in Michigan – we gave you two 75 degree days to get it together this week – five of you listened – the rest of you still are huddled together in clumps in various places on the bush, but you’re on death row now – yes, I said death row!!  I plead with you ripen immediately or you will not wake up one morning. 

In the night, Jack Frost will come and visit – he will touch you with his icy little finger and you will look pretty, prettier than you ever have,  all sparkly like diamonds - for a moment – then you will die and fall off the plant.  Heed my warning this instant!  Turn red by Monday – you have 48 hours, I will settle for orange, but do it now, before the first freeze!

And no, our family would not eat forty fried green tomatoes, thanks for the thought though.  If your family would, you will find the giant seven foot bush behind our garage – help yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment