Translate

Monday, April 14, 2014

It's the Return of the 1970's

Are you guys ready?  It’s the return of the 1970’s. I know, who ever thought they would come back? Other than the hip hugger/ bell bottom fad a few years ago – I thought we were safe.

But it’s been 40 years and apparently some designers are missing their old orange and olive shag homesteads they grew up in or from visits to Grandmas house.  (Can I make a request famous design people?  Please, please, please - no colonial interior designs, please....)

I can’t say for sure if the flocked wallpaper is coming back – but I can say there will be a return of the dark kitchen with funky tiles – emphasis on the funky!

Oh, I stand corrected – folks the flocked is back and it is EXPENSIVE!!!!  $195 a roll????
Gosh this brings back memories, I can remember being a kid and having these very large burlap covered wallpaper sample books in the house, just looking at the shiny foil sheets with the soft velvet patterns was a thrill and the colors – oh, the colors… I’m not sure how we ever survived this fuzzy tin foil invasion.

Where am I getting my information you ask?  Well the Home Depot and Lowes – of course.  I was wandering around wishing on pretty blue glass tiles, as I do so often and found none.   
What I found were a whole bunch of neutral beige and brown glass tiles and then the surprise selection of tiles pictured in this blog. 

Look, is there anyone who was alive then that doesn’t remember those tear drop scrunchy looking ones (pictured at the top) in brown, orange and olive – anyone?  I do believe the bathrooms at Cobo Hall may still be covered in the orange ones.

And look, look at these – they have mirrored tiles too!  Ooohh myyyy.  

Disco fever anyone?  The strobe lights should shine nicely off these in you new brown shag den – with just the right pop of a mirrored wall, not full panels like the old days – but little shiny tiles, with the same horrible coffee spill patterns in them.

Oh Mid-Century modern design return, I guess your forty year nostalgia is just about up – I will miss you – Turquoise is one of my favorite colors…. Oh and chrome, shiny, pretty chrome.  

Guess we’ll have to make way for copper, I didn’t check the faucet section or the light fixtures, but it can’t be far behind…
Oops, there it is!




No comments:

Post a Comment