Translate

Friday, September 12, 2014

You Are What You Eat

Yummy, yummy in my tummy.

But what the hell did I put in my tummy?  And what does that make me if I ate it?

The other day I was at the grocery store and I was hungry (well, pretty much in general I’m always hungry) and they say if you shop while you are hungry than you buy stuff that is not on your list (again, pretty common for me).

I grab these totally yummy looking baby danishes and inhale two as soon as I get in the car (did I mention I was hungry)?

Then, then I looked at the label that I just tore open to get in to the container and there are two hundred ingredients on there.  I’m serious – TWO HUNDRED – there are about seven items on a line and thirty one (and a half) lines of ingredients. 

It’s a danish for goodness sake.  Butter, flour, sugar salt, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, some fruit topping and powdered sugar and water for icing.  That’s ten – ten things – not 200!!!

So we ate – ate 190 extra ingredients – oh my.  

Funny thing is that I am usually pretty conscious about what we eat and what I feed my family.  I’m an anti-GMO freak, so I check everything (corn or soy - almost never) and how something with a six inch ingredient label on the FRONT of the box got by me is stupefying.

You see normally we buy our danishes and bread etc. at a local bakery.  We are spoiled for choice here in Detroit from multiple bakeries that have been around 80 plus years.  Fresh daily, no transport, no ingredients we can’t pronounce to sustain fake freshness.  Just baked new – every single day.  
  
So we’re not dead –we didn’t gain ten strange puffy pounds around the waist and they were quite tasty, but 200 ingredients for a baby danish?  Wow, what a bad choice and how come this is ok?  This should so not be ok….

No comments:

Post a Comment